Commercial Drivers License

CDL can be suspended, revoked, or disqualified for the following violations: 

  • Conviction in court for driving a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Deferred prosecution (DUI conviction)
  • Driving a commercial motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of 0.04 or more
  • Arrest for driving a non-commercial vehicle with a blood alcohol content of .08 or more (.02 or more if the driver is under age 21)
  • Refusing to submit to a breath or blood test while driving any motor vehicle
  • Leaving the scene of an accident involving a motor vehicle
  • Using any motor vehicle in the commission of a felony
  • Driving a commercial motor vehicle with a suspended, revoked, canceled, or disqualified CDL
  • Causing a fatality through the negligent operation of a commercial motor vehicle (including but not limited to vehicular homicide or assault)
  • Committing 2 or more of the violations listed above, in separate incidents
  • Testing positive on the Department of Transportation test for drugs or alcohol
  • Driving a commercial vehicle while under an out-of-service order
  • Committing railroad-crossing violations while operating a commercial motor vehicle
  • Being reported as an imminent hazard by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
  • Committing 2 or more serious traffic offenses within 3 years, in separate incidents
  • Using any motor vehicle in the commission of a felony involving the manufacture, distribution, or dispensing of a controlled substance, or possession with intent to manufacture, distribute or dispense a controlled substanceShould your CDL is suspended, revoked, cancelled, or disqualified: 
  • You have a Duty to Notify your employer.
  • If your commercial driver license is suspended, revoked, or cancelled; or if you’re disqualified from operating a commercial vehicle. This must be completed before the end of the business day following the day of the notice.
  • In writing, of all traffic convictions within 30 days of the conviction. This includes convictions related to your private automobile as well as a commercial vehicle.
  • Notify the Department of Licensing in writing, of all out-of-state traffic convictions within 30 days of the conviction. Write to:

CDL Program
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, Washington 98507-9030

If you have a CDL from a state other than Washington and lose your privilege to drive a commercial vehicle in Washington, you cannot: 

  • Get a Washington CDL until you have re-qualified in this state.
  • Drive a commercial vehicle in Washington, even with a license from another state.
  • DOL also will notify your home state, and they may take action against your driver license.

Can you get a restricted driver license while your CDL is suspended?

You can’t get an Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) to drive a commercial motor vehicle. However, you may apply for one to operate a non-commercial motor vehicle.

Implied consent — Refusing to test

Any person who holds a CDL is deemed to have consented to any testing required by any state or jurisdiction. Driving a commercial motor vehicle implies consent. (Federal Rule 49 CFR 383.72.)
If any level of alcohol is detected, law enforcement can place a commercial driver out-of-service for 24 hours. It’s illegal to operate a commercial vehicle with any alcohol in your system.

DOL Links and Forms

Ratings and Reviews

10.0Sharon Elizabeth Chirichillo
Sharon Elizabeth ChirichilloReviewsout of 60 reviews